Spanish meatballs with fresh tomato sauce

I am very fond of meatballs. Saucy, meaty and flavorful. Spanish meatballs, always a favorite at tapas restaurant, the servings are usually small. At most, you'll find six meatballs in a serving. I know this meant to be tapas... But six petite meatballs are definitely not enough for me. I hate it when I need to share delicious small portion of food with others. I would want it all to myself and if I can which I do sometimes tell the other person to ORDER YOUR OWN share. The last time I had this problem was at Sabio, a popular chic tapas restaurant at Duxton hill. There was the meatballs and trying to be ladylike, polite and smiley as usual, pushing the last meatball to my date but deep down eyeing on it like a hawk, and in the end, when one of us finally gave up on the social etiquette the last meatball is always left cold. Better than nothing.

At the prank party last week. I made the spanish meatballs for the gym junkies who consume meat more than anything. I've made Somewhat like 30 adult size meatballs. Planning before hand to cook more so that I can have the remainder leftovers for dinner the next night all to myself. But in the end, at dinner the next night. I found myself with the problem - watching over the last ball like a hawk when Michael pop one after another into his mouth, guiltily offer me the last ball. Well, at least its not cold this time round.

I've made a lot of Spanish meatballs especially for parties and is an permanent on the small bite section on H Bar menu. These meaty balls makes great party food. Cook in advance, keep warm in the oven until ready to sauce. They are a great hit with the boys. Perfect for nibbling with some wine or beer. Fork it and pop into the mouth. My recipe is a little different on its marinate with use of cumin, soy sauce and oyster sauce. I assure you, its not asian-ish at all in any way. The grilled red pepper is my latest tweak to my old recipe giving a unique flavor the the usual tomato sauce.

Spanish Meatballs
Ingredients
1 kg minced beef
6 garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
2 tablespoon parsley, chopped 
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoon light soy sauce
2 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon worchestire sauce
2 eggs
1 cup bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste

Sauce
½ large onion, chopped
3-4 garlic, minced
400g canned chopped tomatoes
1 roasted red pepper, chopped 
100 ml white wine
salt and pepper to taste
----
Olive oil for frying

Garnish
Handful of basil
Extra virgin olive oil

Method
MEATBALLS
In large bowl mix the beef mince together with all the sauces and the breadcrumbs, egg yolk. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Then shape into little meatballs

In a pan brown the meatballs in a little olive oil for about 10 minutes; set aside

TO PREPARE SAUCE
Roast the whole red pepper on the stove until skin is blackened and charred. Put the pepper into a ball and cover with plastic wrap and leave it to cool. This allows the steam to develop and the blackened skin should come off easily. Rinse, discard the seeds and chop.

In a new pan, sautéed the onions with the olive oil till translucent, add the garlic and sautéed for a few minutes more. Next, add the wine and bring to boil. Add the tomatoes and the pepper and put the meatballs and cook for about 10 minutes. 

Garnish with basil and drizzle with some good extra virgin olive oil.

- till next post, ss.

Labels: , , , , , ,