Braised chicken tarragon with mushroom in milk

What happen to those jars of "Chicken Tonight"? "Chicken Tonight" are similar to pasta sauce that you cook it with chicken. When I was a kid, I love having it over rice. My favorite was creamy mushroom. Chicken Tonight are made popular with their ad where people "buks" like a chicken with a snappy jingle. And we used to sing along to the commercial. I could almost still sing it now. I hadn't seen those jars on the shelves for awhile and I am not sure if I can find it anymore so I decided to make some myself tonight.

Tonight, I wanted some of homey Country French and Creamy Mushroom. I use milk to braise somewhat adapting Jamie Oliver's popular Chicken in milk. The acid from the lemon will sort of split the milk, making a curd like sauce which is absolutely fantastic. Instead of using lemons, I add sherry vinegar which works the same. So dinner is Braised chicken tarragon with mushroom in milk.
The hunks of tender chicken thighs were sitting in a pool of creamy mushroom pan liquids, the mushroom adsorbs all the goodness. the milk having dissolved into small bits of curd and juice. It isn't the most appetizing looking sauce, but who cares. It's Chicken Tonight! Perfect to spoon over some tagliatelle.
A really fantastic combination that must be tried.
Ingredients
6 chicken thighs
5 portabello mushrooms, thickly sliced
5 slices of dried porcini soak in water. (use the porcini water too)
1 large onion, minced
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon mustard
3 tablespoon sherry vinegar or cider vinegar
2 tablespoon tarragon, chopped
2 tablespoon thyme, chopped
600 mL milk
300 mL chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoon olive oil

Method
Preheat the oven to 190˙C. Season the chicken all over and fry it in love oil, turning the chicken  to get an even golden colour all over. Remove and set the chicken aside. Next sauté the onions and garlic until fragrant and onion is translucent. Add the mushroom and porcini plus its soaking water. Cook until mushrooms are cooked then add the mustard, vinegar and herbs. Put the chicken back to the pot and cover it with stock and milk.

Cook in the oven for 1.5 hours basting occasionally and cook uncovered until the liquid is reduced.

- till next post, ss.



Labels: , , , , , , ,